Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Wieder Züruck (9th-11th July 2014)


Back again to Wien, Hallstatt and Salzburg. Marked the beginning of an ambitious 3-week long road trip with my family and relatives. I kid you not, being the driver and the guide is no easy task but it sure was a lot of fun. Started it all off by leaving Graz on ÖBB's RailJet to pick them up at Vienna Airport. Condensed all of this into a day and a half because you've got to factor in the driving time from each city. That made it incredibly rushed but it was still enough to capture the essence of these 3 places.

Seen here in the album cover is the signature shot of Austria: Hallstatt. First time I came here was with my Singapore brothers on our own road trip in the first week we arrived. It was all foggy and freezing then. This time, it was much better.

Wieder Züruck, translates to "Back Again", because I'm revisiting these places again, with the hope that I might chance upon something new. Maybe I did...


Lens upgraded to an 18-200 and tripod upgraded to a more sturdy one... so there's going to be a lot of group photos featured. Starting with this one: where the Schönbrunn Palace is in the background.


Another one, this time with the Gloriette.


Another group shot which I guess is an inevitability... With the Schönbrunn Palace again but you can finally notice the pretty flowers in the gardens.


Honestly, I'm still not very impressed by the Schönbrunn Palace but the third time coming here has helped me realise it actually is pretty big. Perhaps coming here early in the morning meant there were less people crowding around so that can only be a good thing!


Maybe the warmer weather made the flowers in the gardens prettier. Or maybe it's cos my little sister and I were in pretty colours. But yeah... the Schönnbrunn was a little more beautiful this time round, especially without the blazing hot afternoon sun.


En Route to Hallstatt, a short stopover at Gmunden's Hauptplatz by the Traunsee. Was on the opposite side of the Traunsee with my SG brothers in February which was where my previous cover photo was taken. The mountains still look as magnificent, but the clarity is way better this time.


Finally got a decent shot with my family in Hallstatt.


Group photo for the young people. I guess you could say that my sister and I are the "much younger" two then :P


Hallstatt, the symbol of Austria, on most travel guide books. It's always crowded, regardless of the weather or time of the year, so you've got to pick the right time and the right places to get a good photo ;)


After Hallstatt, it was a drive up to Salzburg for the night before going up the Fortress the next morning. Here's something that I missed out the first time I came here: Mozart's statue. Nothing overly impressive, but still significant enough to include here.


It's not easy trying to get a shot with everyone from at the top of the Fortress, so I'm glad this worked out!


Salzburg, translates to Salt Fortress in English, is the capital of the State of Salzburg and is the 4th largest city in Austria, after Wien, Graz and Linz. 

This iconic view of Salzburg from atop the Festung Hohensalzburg features the Salzach and the Salzburger Dom among a host of others.

Was nice to be back here again just to get the road trip started on places familiar to me.

From here on out, it's mainly covering new grounds. Next up, Innsbruck, the capital of the state of Tyrol (Tirol, in Deutsch).



No comments:

Post a Comment